Wednesday, May 18, 2011
Primary election results are in.
1. East Penn School Board Crowded Primary Ballot for East Penn School Board is Thinned Two incumbents get decisive nod from both parties, while field remains competitive for others. 2. Upper Milford Board of Supervisors Upper Milford Board of Supervisors Field Narrowed to Two Republican Carl R. Stevenson and Democrat George DeVault will square off in November general election. 3. Emmaus Borough Council Emmaus Borough Council Candidates Will all be Back Five candidates for four open seats means we're looking at a similar line-up in November. 4. Local Magistrate Local Magistrate Election Draws 2000 Voters Incumbent Donna R. Butler proceeds to next step in bid for another six-year term. 5. Lehigh County Commissioners GOP slate wins big; …
Monday, May 16, 2011
1. Weather: According to the National Weather Service we are looking at a “lather, rinse, repeat” kind of week. Today showers are likely and, to keep things interesting, possibly a thunderstorm. Look for patchy fog before 8 a.m. and after that mostly cloudy skies. 2. In Case You Missed It: Three of the cars stolen from lots along Lehigh Street were recovered – on a dock in New Jersey. 3. Coming Up: Our Frugal Family expert will offer her tips for navigating yard sales. The deals she got this weekend are gonna make you jealous. 4. Did You Know? You can Zumba in Emmaus at St. Matthew's Evangelical Congregational Church, N 5th St & Ridge St, several times a week. 5. Today in History: On this day in 1929, 270 people attended the first-ever …
Friday, May 13, 2011
Well, at least it's Friday...
1. Weather: Well, as they say, all good things must come to an end. According to the National Weather Service, there will be patchy fog this morning, then we’ll be looking at mostly cloudy skies and a chance of showers after 4 p.m. Temperatures should be in the low 70s. 2. In Case You Missed It: Emmaus High School garners 16 nominations for this year’s FREDDY awards. 3. Coming Up: "The Patch Report" a weekly 15-minute radio show debuts today at noon on WXLV 90.3 FM or online via: http://www.wxlvradio.com/station/. 4. Did You Know? According to Wikipedia, the fear of Friday the 13th is called friggatriskaidekaphobia. Any month's 13th day will fall on a Friday if the month starts on a Sunday. 5. Today in History: On this day in 1981, Pope …
Thursday, May 12, 2011
Leading by example
1. Weather: According to the National Weather Service, we’re looking at another good one. Expect sunny skies with highs in the mid 70s. 2. In Case You Missed It: Seven Gen expresses its support of the East Penn School District in an open letter to the community. 3. Coming Up: Margie Peterson gives her take on the impact of school vouchers on the public school system. 4. Good to Know: The Emmaus Police Department collected 68.7 pounds of drugs on April 30 as part of National Take Back Day. More than 1000 pounds of drugs were gathered in Lehigh County. Today in History: On this day in 1780, Americans suffer their worst defeat of the American Revolution in Charleston, S.C.
Tuesday, May 10, 2011
Two scoops of chocolate, please.
1. Weather: According to the National Weather Service, today might be the day to sneak out of the office for a long lunch – or at least a walk outside. Forecasters are predicting sun with highs near 75. 2. In Case You Missed It: A local extreme couponer shares her tips for getting free stuff and big savings in this week’s Frugal Family. 3. Coming Up: Emmaus residents won’t have to scream for ice cream on the Triangle much longer. 4. Biz Bites: Both men and women can treat themselves to a variety of health and beauty services at Artisan’s Salon & Day Spa. Situated just off the Triangle, Artisan’s offers everything from hair cuts and manicures to massages and facials. 5. Today in History: On this day in 1994, Nelson Mandela is sworn in …
Friday, May 6, 2011
What’s a jegging?
1. Weather: It’s Friday and according to the National Weather Service we are going to see the sun. It’ll be partly sunny with a high near 70. There’s a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2 p.m., but all in all, a pretty promising forecast. – especially if you’re chaperoning a first grade class trip to the Lehigh Valley Zoo. 2. In Case You Missed It: Patch Blogger and garden designer Bridget offers some terrific tips, including her pick for “Plant of the Month.” 3. Coming Up: Don’t miss your chance to learning what “jeggings” are as Patch Picks explores some fashion trends for the tomboy. 4. Still Looking for Local Voices: Got something to say? Patch.com added a platform for local bloggers this week. We’d love for you to …
Friday, April 29, 2011
Pitch those pills.
1. Weather: The National Weather Service is still using the R word in the forecast, but not as often with a much lower chance of actually happening. Here’s to hoping. 2. Looking for Local Voices: Got something to say? Patch.com is adding a platform for local bloggers on May 4. For more details or to become one of our first Emmaus Patch bloggers, email Jennifer.firstname.lastname@example.org. 3. In Case You Missed It: Police Say State Sen. Bob Mensch Had Guns in Car 4. Coming Up: They’ll be a chance to get rid of old and unwanted prescription drugs this weekend. Check back later for the details. 5. Today in History: On this day in1945, Dachau, the first concentration camp established by Germany's Nazi regime, is liberated by the U.S. Army.
Wednesday, April 27, 2011
Be all you can be. Be a Patch blogger.
1. Weather: According to the National Weather Service, there’s a 60 percent chance that baseball practice will be on today. 2. Coming Up: If you’ve always had a secret (or not so secret) desire to write, Emmaus Patch may have an opportunity for you. If you are interested in blogging for Patch, check back a little bit later this morning for more details or email Jennifer.email@example.com. 3. Kudos: Tonight, the Emmaus Kiwanis Club will be receiving an award from the Valley Youth House, recognizing the Kiwanis Club's long-term commitment to supporting the Valley Youth House at Christmas time. 4. Biz Bites: With a table made out of books and bent clothes hanger book holders, Blind Willow Book Shop is more than just another pretty name. The …
Tuesday, April 26, 2011
Let your voice be heard.
1. Weather: Today’s weather is a bit sandwich-like. According to the National Weather Service, there’s a slight chance of thunderstorms before 8 a.m. and a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2 p.m. Partly sunny with a high near 84 in the middle. 2. In Case You Missed It: A Bethlehem man was struck and killed on the train tracks near the Pennsylvania Turnpike bridge in Emmaus. 3. Looking for Some Local Voices: If you’ve always had a secret (or not so secret) desire to write, Emmaus Patch may have an opportunity for you. If you are interested in learning more, email firstname.lastname@example.org. 4. Biz Bites: Squeaky worn-out windshield wiper? Turn signal light lost its blink? Emmaus AutoZone to the rescue. AutoZone carries a …
Monday, April 25, 2011
Where a shipwrecked sailor meets a weeping yogi
1. Weather: According to the National Weather Service, today we’re in for a chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after noon. It’ll be warm overall, with a high near 74. Might be enough to help overlook the cloudy skies. 2. In Case You Missed It: Some youngsters managed to squeeze in an egg-hunt in between the rain storms at Emmaus Community Park this weekend. 3. You Oughta Be in Pictures: We’d like to feature your garden in an upcoming photo gallery. If you’d like to show off your green thumb, email Jennifer.email@example.com. 4. Biz Bites: The Weeping Yogi Holistic Center & Store has a really cool name and offers an array of healing services. 5. Today in History: The Life and Strange Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, the …