German students placed first overall in a German competition at Penn State University in State College, Pa. held earlier this week.
The 28 students from Emmaus High were among more than 300 students representing 11 schools in the April 11 competition. Students competed in four events: a spelling bee, a poster competition, a poetry recitation, and a Jeopardy competition.
The names of the EHS students who placed in the different events follow. They competed in one of three levels, depending on the number of years they have studied German.
- Level 1 Poetry: 1st place--Ashley Pennycoff
- Level 2 Poetry: 1st place--Kevin Wilcox
- Level 1 Spelling: 1st place--Ryan Bilger; 3rd place--Erin Stanton
- Level 2 Spelling: 1st place--Kevin Wilcox; 2nd place--Dylan Goshert
- Level 3 Spelling: 3rd place--Alyssa Romano (She competed against native speakers!)
- Level 1 Poster: 2nd place--Megan Noggle and Grey Wertman
- Level 2 Poster: 2nd place--Gillian "Emma" Sommons
- Jeopardy (no levels, one team per school): 1st place--Tom Brown, Dylan Groshert, Markus Hegel, Greg Schanz, and Kevin Wilcox
Information Courtesy of Bonnie Raub, Emmaus High School English Teacher and Public Relations Representative