Editor's Note: Bryan Altieri is an alternate delegate from the 17th Congressional District at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, N.C. The 17th District also sent Walt Garvin, chairman of the Northampton County Democratic Party. The 15th Congressional District sent Allentown City Council President Julio Guridy, Allentown Mayor Ed Pawlowski, Kathleen D. Miller of Upper Milford, Bethlehem Mayor John Callahan and Miriam Huertas of Allentown. Adrian Shanker of Bethlehem is an alternate delegate.
Name: Alexander Bryan Altieri
Hometown: Bethlehem Township
Political Office/Employment: Northampton County Democratic Committeeman/Leslie Altieri for state Representative 138th District Field Organizer/Treasurer
Marital Status/Children: Married to Leslie Altieri, one cat, Chevy
Congressional District Represented: 17th
* What makes you proud of the Democratic Party?
I am proud to be a Democrat because this is the party that is most diverse, stresses inclusion for everyone and works to make the American Dream possible for your average middle-class person. Every day the Democrats are standing up for the values that I believe in, they champion hope over fear and bring out the best in people. We strive to unite the country.
* What issues matter in the Lehigh Valley?
The issues that I have heard most on the minds of Lehigh Valley residents seem to stem from the state budget cuts over the past two years.
* Education and property taxes -- laying off teachers, increased class sizes and program cuts while taxes keep going up is inexcusable.
* People are struggling to stay in their homes in this economy, where good paying jobs for the middle class seem hard to come by.
* Creating jobs for working families is definitely a huge priority for many people.
* Cuts to Human Services that affect all sorts of people, including the indigent and the disabled are very concerning. We should be supporting the people who most need our help.
* Environmental issues, such as drilling the Marcellus Shale, is important, both from the aspect of safety and properly taxing it to increase the state revenue.
* What are you looking forward to at the Democratic Convention?
I’ve watched the conventions since I was a little kid and from what I've heard, there always seems to be a spirit of camaraderie. I always thought it would be an amazing experience to be part of, and I'm truly honored to be going to take part in it this year. I'm looking forward to meeting people from all walks of life from across the country and hearing the many inspiring speeches from President Obama, Vice President Biden and former President Clinton this week.