Editor's Note: The Emmaus Patch editor's husband, "Coach Harry," was the coordinator of the Upper Milford Youth Association summer 2011 kickball program.
Moms Talk is a weekly feature on all Lehigh Valley Patches in which local parents are invited to share opinions and advice on parenting issues.
This week’s Moms Talk topic comes from Moms Council member Beth Sharpless and relates to sports medals, trophies and similar prizes:
Here’s what Beth has to say:
“Given that my daughter just received her first medal for playing kickball (with the Upper Milford Youth Association), I realize we are now embarking on a new phase in her life-that of sports, medals, trophies and the like. Watching all of the kids grab and ‘gimme’ at the medals made me ask myself questions surrounding such issues. I thought it would be nice to gain others' perspectives on the whole thing…”
So here’s what Beth wants to know:
What are your thoughts on participation medals, trophies and all that jazz?
Join the conversation. Each week our Moms Council members discuss these and other issues.
Our Moms Council members include:
- Lisa Amey of Upper Milford Township is a stay-at-home mom to an 8-year-old boy and a 5-year-old girl. A past president of the MOMS Club of Emmaus and longtime member of MOPs (Mothers of Preschoolers), Lisa is an Independent Consultant for Arbonne International.
- Lisa Drew of Emmaus is a certified nutritionist and personal trainer, wellness and fitness coach with more than 17 years of experience. She is the mother of a 13-year-old girl and a 9-year-old boy.
- Jennifer Elston of Emmaus has almost two decades of professional experience in child development and counseling. She is currently a stay-at-home mom to two beautiful girls. Together with her husband, Chris, she owns Christopher Elston Photography.
- Jeanne Lombardo of Nazareth is the mother of a 10-year-old boy and a 5-year-old girl. She’s new to the Lehigh Valley, having moved to Nazareth from Bergen County, NJ in January.
- Lisa Merk of Lower Macungie is a stay-at-home mother of four boys – a 12-year-old and 6-year-old triplets. Lisa is a past president of the MOMS Club of Lower Macungie East. In her “spare” time, Lisa teaches piano to school-age children.
- Megan Patruno of Allentown is a mother of three – an 11-year-old boy, an 8-year-old girl and a 6-year-old boy. Megan also works as an admission counselor at Muhlenberg College in Allentown.
- Zoila Bonilla Paul of Bethlehem is a stay-at-home mom to two girls – a 5-year-old and a 14-month-old. Zoila is a member of her local “moms’ club” and says she is “well-versed in the fun that children can bring.”
- Beth Sharpless of Emmaus works part time in a local emergency department as a nurse and part time from home as a customer support specialist. She has two children -- a boy who is almost 2 and a 5-year-old girl. She says they love spending time outdoors and dancing.
If you would like to become a part of the Moms Council and/or have ideas for future Moms Talk questions, please email email@example.com.
Share your thoughts and stories. Tell us in the comments.