It is not that there are not jobs out there because there are thousands each day that come up on career-builder. The problem is that many jobs are very specific in the experiences and educational requirements they require of a prospective employees. The other problem is that if certain keywords to come up electronically when the employer upload resumes from career-builder there is a great chance that yours wouldn't even make the first screening.
Here are some suggestions of what you can do to improve your success in finding employment:
1. Broaden your job range: When I have met with individuals searching for a job they had made there job search too specific. Many job searches do not realize they have transferable skills that can allow them to work in various capacities. For example, a housekeeper can find a job as a customer service representative because both are individuals who pay attention to detail and organized.
2. One Resume doesn't fit all: I am guilty of this because it is easy especially when it is your 90th resume submission. Yet, it is important for you to create a resume specific for each job that you apply for.
3. Follow-up: Remember that you are in competition and that you need to get your resume to the front of the line. They only way this will happen is if you follow-up by e-mail or phone call. Disclaimer: some companies will not take phone calls however there are other ways to go about it.
4. Humble Yourself: This is hard especially if you are unemployed or collecting employment. Trust me because I personally know. At the end of the day a check is a check. It will pay your bills, put food on the table and maintain a home over your head. Even if you have a doctoral degree, masters degree or a bachelors degree if you are unemployed you may have to take job that you are over qualified for. As a person once said to me and I have said to my clients, "It is easy to find a job you want when you have a job".
5. Don't Give Up: Let's face it, it is hard out there and you can be doing everything right and still not find what you are looking for. Just know that you have a purpose and although life may throw curveballs, it doesn't mean it is the end of the world.
If you are unemployed, get yourself involved in groups, volunteer, attend social activities. It is normal to feel alone and sometimes sad especially when times are hard and this is why it important to stay connected.