Mark your calendar for a winter wonderland celebrating the arts! The Emmaus Arts Commission’s Annual SnowBlast Winter Festival will take place throughout Emmaus, February 1 and 2, 2013. February is the perfect time to bundle up and head to Emmaus to have a blast … a SnowBlast! The festival schedule is packed with free, community-wide art related events.
Planned activities include many favorites such as the Friday night kick-off on the Emmaus Triangle with an appearance by the SnowBlast Ice Princess, Sculpted Ice demonstrations and the popular Ice Bar hosted by the Emmaus Main Street Partners (a partner of the Greater Lehigh Valley Chamber of Commerce.) The EAC winter art festival includes the growing SnowBlast Art Show and Sale at the Clock Building featuring special musical performances. Saturday continues with activities scheduled at the Emmaus Public Library, the Clock Building and other sites throughout Emmaus.
The winter season is an exhilarating time of year to enjoy a blast of outdoor activity and experience cool shopping, art demonstrations, cozy coffee shops, and dining.
Scheduled activities and times will be posted on the Emmaus Arts Commission web site at www.emmausarts.org. For the most up-to-date information, please visit the official SnowBlast Winter Festival web site often!
Sample of SnowBlast 2013 activities:
Friday Night, February 1, 5 pm – 9 pm
- Opening Ceremony - Emmaus Triangle Park.
- Sculpted Ice demonstration - Emmaus Triangle Park.
- 3rd Annual EAC SnowBlast Winter Festival Art Show & Sale featuring a collection of artwork by local talent - Clock Building (328 Main Street.) Musical performances include EPSD Elementary Chamber Players and Lehigh Valley Horn Ensemble; Interactive poetry happening as well as poems and music celebrating the Winter season with Lisa DeVuono, poet and Michael London, musician.
- Ice Bar on the Triangle hosted by Emmaus Main Street Partners featuring the popular “Icetini,” Warm Spiced Wine, Lager, Soda, Bottled Water.
- Appearance by the popular SnowBlast Ice Princess - Triangle Park.
- Artist demonstrations by Richard Farmer, Bob Boehmer, Dave Blank and Janelle Hamscher - Clock Building.
- Family- and summer-themed oil paintings by Emmaus artist Lauren Kuhn – Creamery on Main, 332 Main Street.
- Tai Chi demonstration featuring instructors and students from Lehigh Valley Martial Arts - Triangle Park.
- Food specials - Traub's Doggie, 251 Main Street.
- Chinese Calligraphy demonstration by Linda Rashid – Quaker Maid Kitchen & Bath, 337 Chestnut Street.
- Superhero art by Marvel/DC artist Bob McLeod - location TBA.
- Photographer Lisa Furey showcasing natural light lifestyle photos; Wine and cheese tasting - 2HipChics, 244 Main Street.
- Jewelry-making demonstration featuring jewelry designer and artist, Denise Tempest – Emmaus Jewel Shop, 338 Main Street.
- Food vendors at Triangle Park featuring Armetta's Italian Restaurant & Pub, Creamery on Main, Sugar So Sweet Cupcakes.
- Outdoor Games (and fun!) at Triangle Park – Snowman Beanbag Toss, Ring Toss and Fish Pond sponsored by Lehigh Valley Martial Arts.
- Music by Wesley Works Entertainment.
- Asian Drum demonstration - Buss Paints, 327 Main Street.
- Special art opening of new artwork by local artists - Baked Café and Bakery, 228 Main Street.
- Violin and Viola Duets by Michael Montero and Sharon Olsher; Stonekeep Meadery Wine Tasting -- House Splendid, 345 Chestnut Street.
- Musical duo of MJM performing jazz tap guitar with vocals - King Koffee, 506 Chestnut Street.
- SnowBlast Chill Chaser drink special at Lee Gribben’s; SnowBlast after-party.
- Fire Pit warming stations and more…
Saturday, February 2, 2013, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- The Emmaus Arts Commission presents Make Superhero Bookmarks with Bob McLeod – 10:30 to noon at Emmaus Public Library, 11 East Main Street. This activity uses "follow-the-leader" style art instruction from artist Bob McLeod. Blick Art Materials is donating supplies for the first 25 participants (while supplies last.)
- 2nd Annual SnowBlast Winter Festival Community Art Project sponsored by the Emmaus Arts Commission and Blick Art Materials. Project theme – Graffiti Art! 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Clock Building. Blick Art Materials staff and volunteers from Emmaus Arts Commission will be on hand to help kids and adults alike draw and create graffiti panels. Completed artwork will be on display at Lee Gribben’s on Main for the month of February.
- 3rd Annual EAC SnowBlast Winter Festival Art Show & Sale at the Clock Building (328 Main Street) – featuring a collection of artwork by local talent. (Items are available for purchase through each artist.)
- Artist demonstration by Emmaus artist Lauren Kuhn, also showing her family and summer-themed oil paintings - Creamery on Main, 332 Main Street.
- Story time and craft-making with Martha Vines, Emmaus Public Library, 1:00 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Baked Café and Bakery, 228 Main Street – Special collection of artwork by local artists.
SnowBlast Winter Festival is brought to you by The Emmaus Arts Commission with sponsor support furnished by Lafayette Ambassador Bank and Vinart Lehigh Valley along with Rileigh’s Outdoor Decorations, Emmaus Main Street Partners, Greater Lehigh Valley Chamber of Commerce, First Niagra, Lehigh Valley Martial Arts, Bear Creek Mountain Resort, Wesley Works Entertainment, Natural Awakenings Magazine, Blick Art Materials, Ice Cream World, Gene Clock, The PRESS, Montero Violins and Emmaus Patch. Special thanks to Emmaus Borough Council and Public Works Department, Planet Games and students and art teachers from Seven Generation Charter School, Jefferson and Lincoln Elementary Schools, St. Ann School and Emmaus High School.
Since 2005 the Emmaus Arts Commission has brought family-friendly events and artistic community pride to Emmaus and the Lehigh Valley. SnowBlast Winter Festival, Student Horror Film Festival, EAC Rain Barrel Project and other events are made possible through generous contributions and fundraising activities through the Emmaus Arts Commission and its sponsors and supporters. We hope to see you at SnowBlast!