Upper Milford Officials Reorganize
Newcomer George DeVault welcomed to board of supervisors.
The Upper Milford Township Board of Supervisors held a brief re-organizational meeting Jan. 3.
Township Manager Dan DeLong opened the meeting with a warm welcome to the board’s newest supervisor, George DeVault, who was elected as the temporary chairman. DeVault explained to residents in attendance that in a second-class township, such as Upper Milford, the re-organizational meeting is required by a Pennsylvania state law.
“We aren’t just making this up,” he said.
Dan Mohr was then elected chairman and Robert Sentner vice-chairman of the supervisors for 2012.
Mohr was designated as the Upper Milford Township Board of Supervisors representative to the Lehigh County Authority business meetings and to serve as the alternate to Township Manager Dan DeLong on voting matters.
DeVault was designated as the Upper Milford Township Board of Supervisors representative to the Agricultural Security Board.
Appointments were made to various boards, committees and commissions as follows:
- Virginia Prescott will fill the vacancy of elected auditor until 2014.
- Reappointment of Sarah Whitney and Anne Meltzer to the Open Space Committee; term to expire on first Monday in January 2015.
- Reappointment of Francis Caputo to the Zoning Hearing Board; term to expire Dec. 31, 2016.
- Reappointment of Philip Vanim to the Recreation Commission; term to expire first Monday in January 2017.
- Reappointment of Lawrence Butler to the vacancy board; this is an annual term.
The supervisors approved 19 resolutions for reappointments, various authorizations, and setting fee schedules for 2012. Some of these include:
- Reappointment and setting of wages of township officials.
- Reappointment of township solicitor Worth, Magee, Fisher.
- Hourly employee wage schedule.
- Reappointment of Zoning Hearing Board solicitor John Stover, Jr.
- Reappointment of township engineer Benchmark Civil Service Engineering.
- Bonding for treasurer and township manager.
The meeting schedule for the Board of Supervisors will continue to be the first and third Thursday of each month from February to November, with the regular meeting beginning at 7:30 p.m. preceded by a 7 p.m. workshop meeting. If a meeting conflicts with a holiday or other business, an alternative date will be chosen and proper notice given.
The board voted in favor of allowing the supervisors, township secretary, township manager, employee personnel and the township solicitor to attend the annual Pennsylvania State Association of Township Supervisors (PSATS) convention, if they so desire, with all expenses reimbursed. Mohr was also designated as the official voting delegate to the May 6-9 convention.