Prescription Drug Take-Back Day Set for Sept. 29
Emmaus Police, in addition to other departments and organizations, will participate in a National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 29.
Emmaus Police, in addition to other departments and organizations, will participate in a National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 29.
Police officers will accept controlled, non-controlled and over-the-counter medications.
Before handing over unwanted prescriptions, remove any personal information from bottles or packages that contain medications. Liquid products and creams in containers will be accepted.
Sharpies and syringes will not be accepted because of the potential hazard posed by blood-borne pathogens. Illegal substances, such as marijuana and methamphetamine, are not part of the program and should not be placed in the collection boxes.
Keeping expired or unused medicine can be dangerous.
“People can mistake one medication for another, especially if the names of the medications are close,” said Vicky Kistler, director of the Allentown Health Bureau. Having excess medications stored in homes “also can provide the opportunity for curious youths to experiment with dangerous drugs with serious consequences,” she added.
On April 28, Americans turned in a record-breaking 552,161 pounds -- or 276 tons -- of prescription drugs at the 5,659 take-back sites operated by the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), according to a press release.
When the results of the four Take-Back Days to date are combined, the DEA and its state, local and tribal law enforcement and community partners have removed over 1.5 million pounds -- or 774 tons -- of medication from circulation.
Here is a complete list of Drug Take-Back Day locations in Lehigh County:
- Alburtis Police Department, 260 Franklin St., Alburtis;
- Catasauqua Police Department, 118 Bridge St., Catasauqua;
- Emmaus Police Department, 400 Jubilee St., Emmaus;
- Fountain Hill Police Department, 941 Long St., Fountain Hill;
- Giant supermarket, 3015 W. Emmaus Ave., Allentown;
- Giant supermarket, 216 E. Fairmount St., Route 9, Coopersburg.
- Lower Milford Township Police Department, 7607 Chestnut Hill Rd., Coopersburg;
- Macungie Police Department, 21 Locust St., Macungie;
- Pennsylvania State Police, 2930 Airport Rd., Bethlehem;
- Salisbury Township Police Department, 3000 South Pike Ave., Salisbury Township;
- Slatington Police Department, 125 S. Walnut St., Slatington;
- South Whitehall Township Police Department, 4444 Walbert Ave., South Whitehall Township;
- Upper Saucon Township Police Department, 5500 Camp Meeting Rd., Center Valley;
- Walgreen’s, 1702 W. Tilghman St., Allentown;
- Westgate Mall, 2285 Schoenersville Rd., Bethlehem.
- Whitehall Township Police Department, 3731 Lehigh St., Whitehall.