It's too hot to cook. We really don't even need to say that.
Ice cream is really the only food that makes sense this week, right? So here's more than a recipe for you: it's a memory maker.
Kids love these and they actually remember them decades later. And when they have their own kids and pull out some of the things they liked as kids to share with their own, it won't be the whole grain bran muffins. Sorry, some things just need to be said.
With thanks to delish.com, here's the one my kids remember in a good way:
Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 cup(s) (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup(s) packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon(s) pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup(s) mini chocolate chips
- 1 pint(s) vanilla ice cream, softened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, with rack in center. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add sour cream, egg, and vanilla; beat until smooth. With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture; mix in 1 cup chocolate chips.
- Using 1 rounded tablespoon per cookie, drop mounds of dough, about 1 1/2 inches apart, onto two baking sheets. (You'll have 25 to 30 cookies.) Bake until golden, 10 to 12 minutes; transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Scatter remaining chocolate chips on a plate. Place about 2 tablespoons ice cream between 2 cookies, bottoms facing in; press gently. Roll the sides of each sandwich in chips. (If ice cream is melting, place sandwiches in freezer until firm enough to roll in chips.) Transfer sandwiches onto baking sheets. Freeze until firm, at least 2 hours; then wrap individually in plastic. Freeze up to 2 weeks.
Ok, so there's a bit of baking involved IF you make your own cookies, but there are some really nice cookies at the grocery store that make these ice cream sandwiches just as tasty. Think about it.
Do you have an easy summer recipe that you'd like to share? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or Tell us in the comments.